Webster University's Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies major is a broad communication experience within the School of Communications. In this program, students explore the design, delivery and effects of media messages in a range of communication fields and across multiple communication platforms. Media studies majors approach media from academic and practical standpoints, develop diverse professional portfolios and hone skills integral to a variety of media careers. The media studies degree affords an excellent foundation for pursuing a variety of careers within any organization that uses and values communication.
“Webster does a lot to try and help make students feel at home ... it's a place where there is something for everyone.”
BA in Media Studies, '22
Upon completion of the BA in Media Studies program, students will be able to:
- Develop media content for different fields, platforms and audiences.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need to think ethically when creating messages.
- Evaluate media in historical and global context.
- Conceive and implement effective communication strategies.
- Analyze media content and effects.
Earn Your Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies
To earn a bachelor's degree, students must:
- Complete at least 120 total credit hours.
- At least 30 of the last 36 credit hours must be earned in residence at Webster University.
- Credit for assessment of prior learning or departmental credit by exam is considered in residence.
- Earn a cumulative Webster University grade point average of 2.0 or better.
- Satisfy the requirements of a major.
- Meet the requirements of the Global Citizenship Program (GCP).
Bachelor's degrees are awarded in May, August, and December.
Students must meet the requirements in effect at the time of their matriculation as degree-seeking students. Students leaving the University for more than one calendar year must be readmitted and will follow the requirements in effect at the time of their readmission.
- 39-44 required credit hours
- Applicable University Global Citizenship Program hours
- EPMD 1000 Introduction to Media Production (3 hours)
- MDST 1010 Media Foundations (3 hours)
- MDST 1050 Media Writing (3 hours)
- MDST 1160 Communication for Media Professionals (3 hours)
- MDST 2100 Media Literacy (3 hours)
- MDST 2800 Media, Diversity and Society (3 hours)
- MDST 2500 Professional Development for Media Careers (3 hours)
- MDST 3100 Social Media Strategies & Tactics (3 hours)
- MDST 3260 Global Media Practice (3 hours)
- MDST 3300 Media Law, Ethics & Policy (3 hours)
- MDST 4110 Digital Media & Culture (3 hours)
- MDST 4200 Media Research (3 hours)
- MDST 4620 Media Practicum/Thesis* (3-4 hours)
or MDST 4950 Internship* (3-8 hours)
*Capstone Course: student must earn a grade of no less than B.
Students in the media studies program are encouraged to explore minors, certificates or even other majors to expand their experience. Students may petition to complete a professional media practicum (internship) or senior overview with a focus in their area of concentration.
***39 major credit hours is equivalent to 78 ECTS plus required GCP credit hours and electives for degree completion is 120 credit hours equivalent to 240 ECTS.
A Media Studies degree will prepare you for success in various career paths including:
- Digital marketer
- Media buyer
- Media planner
- Media researcher
- Public relations officer
- Runner, broadcasting/film/video
- Social media manager
- Television/film/video producer
- Web content manager
- Advertising account executive
- Broadcast journalist
- Editorial assistant
- Event manager
- Film director
- Magazine journalist
- Market researcher
- Marketing executive
- Media researcher
- UX designer
“I think my global perspective has been indelibly shaped by Webster, and will always remember my time there.”
BA in Media Communications, '15
Choose Webster University
Webster University Georgia, part of Webster University's global network of international schools, brings the best of American education to Tbilisi. Class sizes are small and our faculty bring real-life knowledge and personal attention to the classroom.
Join Webster's Global Community
All Webster students benefit from our teams of advisors, counselors, tutors and support staff. Get scheduling assistance, academic support and more, no matter where you are.